Meeting of Art Club in Memorial Hall
For details of Hall hiring contact W Sturges (01225722510) The Memorial Hall is situated in the Village and it is used for  staging functions, parties, Club activities, Poling Station, meetings, etc.  It comprises a hall, committee room, kitchen, toilets and storage room and it has the capacity for 115 dancing and 60 seated. The charges for its use are £10.50 per hour for the main hall and £6 per hour for  the committee room. Equipment such as tables, chairs, cutlery, glasses etc. and can also be hired if required. Bookings can be made with W Sturgess (01225722510) The Committee meets about six times a year and the main Officers are. Chairman                       W Sturges                                       Secretary                       V Jackson                                      Treasurer                       N Paige
   The Recreation Rooms and Hinton Memorial Hall    1882-2015 The   present   Memorial   Hall   in   Hinton      has   its   roots      back   in   1882   when   Edward   Foxcroft      of   Hinton   House bought   Hinton   Farm   from   Mr.Willis   and   he   and   Mrs.   Foxcroft   decided   to   lend   the   large   room   at   the   back   of   the old   farm   house   (now   Hall   Cottage)   as   a   Recreation   Room   for   the   young   men   of   the   village.   At   that   time   the present   Hall   was   still   a   barn   attached   to   the   old   house.   Rooms   for   reading   and   recreation   were   often   either built   or   loaned   in   many   of   the   villages   and   were   aimed   at   occupying   and   to   some   degree   educating   young men      who   had   little   to   do   after   work   and   it   was   feared   might   otherwise   gravitate   to   the   pub.         In   Hinton   there had   been   a   lending   library   started   by   the      Rev.   Thomas   Spencer      in   the   1830’s   probably   in   a   room   in   what   is now called Long Cottage near the church but by the 1880’s there is no mention of it. Miss   Margaret   Foxcroft   wrote   an   account   of   the   Recreation   Rooms   a   few   years   before   her   death   in   1941 which included the following:                At   that   time   there   was   very   little   opportunity   for   recreation   or   amusement   in   country   villages.      Bicycles   had   not come   in   to   common   use   and   opportunities   of   getting   into   town   were   much   less   frequent   than   at   present.      The   only daily   papers   taken   at   that   time   were,   I   believe,   at   Hinton   House   and   the   Vicarage;   and   they   were   not   delivered   till next   day.         Of   course   the   public   houses   had   a   paper.      Mr   and   Mrs   Foxcroft   took   in   papers   for   the   Rooms;   provided bagatelle,   dominoes,   draughts,   and   other   games   and   entirely   did   up   the   rooms   and   furnished   them   and   let   them rent   and   rate   free.     A   Committee   of   Members   was   appointed   to   manage   the   Rooms   and   Mr   F.   Colborne   kindly   acted as   Secretary   for   45   years.      Refreshments   were   provided   at   a   small   charge   both   for   the   young   in   the   Rooms   and   for travellers   on   the   road   –   tea,   coffee,   cocoa,   cake   and   gingerbread   were   sold   in   pennyworths   and   in1883   I   see   the year’s   receipts   for   these   pennyworths   amounted   to   nearly   £25,   or   almost   10/-   a   week.      Sugar   was   3d   a   lb,   tea   2/-, cocoa 6d, and coal 8d per cwt at pithead (Mr Crisp kindly hauling it free) From   the   beginning   a   caretaker   was   appointed   and   the   first   of   these   was   Mrs   Susan   Bath   who   was   paid   4/-   a week   and   lived   rent   free   in   the   rest   of   the   cottage   on   condition   that   she   was   always   on   the   premises   to   supply travellers   who   frequently   stopped   for   refreshments   and   in   addition   be   available   in   the   evenings   to   supply   cake and   cocoa   etc.,   to   the   members.   Over   the   succeeding   years   a   second   Room   was   added   and   caretakers succeeding   Mrs   Bath   had   additional   duties   –   perhaps   as   the   travellers   wanting   cocoa   decreased   –   and   they became   responsible   for   preparing   the   rooms   for   meetings   when   called   upon   to   do   so.      The   final   caretakers were   Mr   and   Mrs   Arthur   Swift,   appointed   in   1911   -      Margaret   Foxcroft   notes   Arthur   Swift   was   the   first   Hinton man   to   volunteer   at   the   beginning   of      the   Great   War.   He   and   his   family   remained   in   the   cottage   well   into   living memory. As   well   as   the   bagatelle   and   dominoes   originally   supplied,   a   lending   library   was   added   in   1895   under   the direction   of   Miss   Violet   Foxcroft.      Some   of   the   books   were   donated   and   among   the   donors   was   the   celebrated social   scientist,   Herbert   Spencer,   who   sent   several   of   his   own   books.      In   the   1830’s,   as   a   boy,   he   had   lived   at the   vicarage   with   his   uncle   for   three   years. Apart   from   the   permanent   selection   Violet   Foxcroft   ordered   books from   a   central   lending   library   and   some   of   her   surviving   lists   show   a   mixture   of   adventure   stories   and   books with   a   more   educational   approach.         In   addition   to   games   and   books   it   seems   that   from   time   to   time   there were   lectures   or   talks   as   I   have   found   notes   for   a   talk   on   Egypt      by   Violet   Foxcoft   (she   had   recently   visited   her brother   there)   and   the   outline   for   a   talk   on   Alfred   the   Great      by   her   sister   Helen.      It   would   be   interesting   to know   if   these   were   enjoyed   or   merely   politely   tolerated   as   an   interruption   to   other   activities   -   although   there was   doubtless   a   good   audience   when   Ernest   Shackleton,   the   explorer,   and   a   relation   of   the   Vicar’s   wife,   gave a talk to the village. A   small   notebook   which   covers   the   years   1905-1925   records   the   names   of   members   who   paid   a   quarterly subscription   of   1/-   ,     This   rose   to   2/6   after   the   war   when   numbers      gradually   declined   until   membership   closed in   1926   from   lack   of   support.      In   the   early   years   of   the   century   membership   had   risen   to   over   thirty   and included   many   well-known   Hinton   names   with   Swifts   and   Andrews   the   most   constant.      However   society   was changing   and   the   effect   of   the   war,   better   transport   and   perhaps   the   possibilities   of   an   evening   at   the   cinema were   starting   to   change   peoples’   lives.      1n   1921   Captain   Charles   Foxcroft   had   given   the   barn   which   was attached   to   the   Rooms   to   the   village   as   a   memorial   to   all   in   Hinton   who   had   served   in   the   Great   War.     A   door was   made   between   the   Rooms   and   the   new   Hall   so   that   the   facilities   for   tea   and   coffee   would   be   available   as this was long before the present kitchen and cloakrooms were added.          As   the   young   men   were   losing   interest   in   the   Rooms   another   organisation   was   gathering   strength.      In   1923 Miss   Margaret   Foxcroft   had   started   a   branch   of   the   relatively   new   Womens   Institute   which   was   to   flourish   in Hinton   for   many   years,   using   the   Hall   as   its   meeting   place.      The   Hall   was   used   in   World   War   II   for   many   fund- raising    events    such    as    dances,    whist    drives    and    a    very    successful    auction    with    the    money    going    to government   bonds   to   aid   the   war   effort.   It   also   played      an   important   role   as   an   emergency   Rest   Centre   when Bath   was   bombed.   Beds   which   had   been   previously   provided   by   the   Local   Council   were   set   out   by   village volunteers   for   some   of   the   many   who   streamed   out   of   Bath   in   April   1942.   Over   the   intervening   years   there have   been   a   number   of   changes   to   the   Hall   which   is   no   longer   joined   to   the   Rooms.     The   kitchen,   cloakrooms and   more   recently   the   car   park   have   been   added   and   although   our   village   Hall   is   not   the   most   modern,   it holds   a   lot   of   Hinton   history   and   is   still   an   excellent   choice   for   meetings,   children’s   parties,   classes   and   coffee mornings.                                                                                                                                         Isla Tuck                                         
A History of the Hall , written by Isla Tuck, is contained at the end of this page
The Committee are proud to that the Hall has achieved a HALLMARKK AWARD, level one, from Community Action, the Rural Community Council for the former count of Avon
Following a very successful Market in the Hall in September and December another one is planned in the New Year. See News and Diary  VILLAGE MEETING A village meeting to discuss the situation with the Fete and the future of other facilities in the Village was help in the Memorial Hall on 9th February starting at 7.30 pm. .