There is no authorative history of the village at present. The following information has been extracted from the outstanding Womens Institute "Records of the Village" booklet which was compiled in 1953 by a number of Villagers.It is hoped that in time this will be updated A HISTORY OF THE CHURCH The church of St. John the Baptist was originally Norman and was standing in 1227 when Ela, Countess of Salisbury, founded the Carthusian Priory in the Parish. The Prior retained the right, as Rector, to appoint the Vicars of the Parish. At that date the Font would have already been some years in the church; also lancet windows in the south aisle, and the south porch In 1284 the monks were given a charter to hold a weekly market every Friday on the green at Hinton, then an expanse of grass near the church, but the Prior complained later that the church services were being so disturbed by -"noise, disturbance and insolence" that the Fair was moved to Norton st. Philip where the Carthusians possessed a "Wool Market established at what is now the George Inn, and held there for many years until it lapsed. In the church Register the first Rector's name entered is that of Walter Le Haut in 1319. He must have been a Norman and his name when translated means "Walter the tall". Between 1319 and 1539, when Hinton and Norton Parishes shared the same Rector, {viz The Prior of Hinton) there were 17 vicars of Hinton The Priory was dissolved in 1539 by order of King Henry VIII, and 36 years later in 1575 the first vicar ministering to both Parishes was called Robert Brytten who held the living till 1588. Hinton's earliest Register (extant), 1546 onwards, is locally unrivalled in antiquity! After this the Register was kept at Norton till 1824 when Hinton resumed its ancient custom of a separate Parish, the first vicar being Henry Blayds. This was largely due to the generosity of Queen Anne's Bounty and the support of Captain Symonds of the Abbey (as the Priory was then called) who was largely instrumental in obtaining recognition of the right of Hinton Church and Parish to a separate incumbent, and by who's generosity the North Aisle was added to the church in 1820
No one is quite sure where the old vicarage stood but a path through the south and east church yard which was incorporated in the church yard by Mr. Foxcroft is still called Vicarage Lane, and certainly the cottages pulled down on adjacent sites in 1830 and 1866 were very old ones, and might well have been the remains of the old vicarage. The modern vicarage was built by the Rev. Thomas Spencer who was vicar from 1826 to 1848 and was added to by the Rev. W. Girardot who succeeded him. In 1947 it was sold by the Diocesan Authorities and it was hoped that one day another vicarage might be built on land already promised for that purpose near the church. RECORDS The Parish Vestry Minutes Book of 1760 -1819 contains many interesting items, some of which follow:- Extracts from an old Parish or Vestry Minute and Account Book 1760 -1819" The extracts given below were taken from the above mentioned book and the original spelling has been retained. The great majority of payments made were for the destruction of sparrows and certain other animals. For all these there appears to have been a regular tarif'f' adhered to throughout the 59 years covered by the entries in the book Sparrows: l/4d each~ The largest amount f'or which payment was made at anyone time was 8 1/2 dozen. Foxes: old 1/- young 1/6d. Polecats: 4d. eacho Of'ten spelt Poule Cats. Wezells or Wizzells: 4d. Martin Cats : 6d. 1760 Nov.15th. The Ringers rejoycing f'or the victory over the Austrians. 1762. Jno. Barnes and Richard Garret f'or haing the Chansel £11/6d. 1763. Paid to a Captin of' a Vessell 5/-. Paid f'or mending the Sarplis (surplice) 11d. 1764. Paid f'or putting up the Gallowry and putting up the gates £11. 3. 5d. (This gallery was put up at the west end of' the church and remained there until it was taken down to permit of' the extension of the seating to the west end of the Church in 1815. 1770. A day's work 8d. Aug. 29th Beer f'or 15 men in getting up the great beams 3/10d. (This was when the tower was being repaired.) The name Morgan and date 1770 are still to be seen near the top of the tower on the south side. 1770 Repairin~ and paintihg sundial 6/- Sept. 8th (Where ? ) Oct. 14th To Mr. Richard Herbert for 22 cart loads of stones 11/-, To 2 days and a half' work at the Quarry 2/6d. 1771 April 11th. Paid Clark for cleaning rubbish out of ye tower and ye church road .The disburstments (sic) of James Poyner. 1773 Feb.17th. Performance of Prayer and Thanksgiving for the Deliveryof the Queen of a Prince 5d. Feb. 24th. For putting up ye scrapers at the Church Porch 6d. June 23rd. To Jo Barrett for cleaning The Church Causeway 2/-. 1774 March 25th. Paid for a Form of Prayer and Thanksgiving for the safe delivery of ye Queen of a Prince. 1777 March 25th. Paid for a Form of Prayer and Thanksgiving for the delivery of the Queen of a Princess. 1781 To a new lock for the Belfry Door 5/3d. 1 do. for the trap dore on the Tower 8d. Half a load of tiles for the Church 6/- July 7th. Paid John Barnes Bill for work don at the Tower in putting up the Battlements and taking down the pintiles as was left standing and other work. 1782 For a brush to keep the Church clean 1/10d. 1795 July 4th. For cleaning the Church road 2/6d. To a broom for ditto 3d. 1804 April To cleaning the ten Commandments 1/- 1815 March 19th Captain Symonds appointed a Churchwarden. Under the same date -it was decided that there should be a vveekly instead of a fortnightly ser vice. £20 a year extra to be paid to the Incumbent at the discretion of the Churchwardens. 1815 September The old wooden Communion rails taken down as being so much out of repair, and iron fancy rails substituted in. their place. 1815 September The path leading from the vicarage house the Churchwardens is empowered to stop up provided it meets with the Clergyman's approbation, and to be opened at a future time if required. That the gallery be painted of oak colour, the Communion place to be covered with matting, and new hassocks to be bought for the accomodation of Communicants. That the Church walls be brought up to a level to be coped with stone. 1815 Oct. 12th. The new pattern produced by the Churchwardens of the new railing for the Corrnnunion Table valued at £7 is approved Pavement of body of Church be repaired. Extending of seats back into West window by removal of present gallery. Here end the notes contained in this book. Interesting perhaps in the light which they throw on prices some 200 years ago. The Vestry Minute Book of 1830- 1897 contains the following:- Numbers of Children Appointment of Constables 1830- 1852 Appointment of Tything Men 1830-1842 In 1830 we read resolutions that "the paupers of the Parish be taught to Knit stockings, especially the women and old men". "That the pay of Thomas Smith and Joseph Francis be stopped for not attending at the Church to knit" At a select vestry (for the management of the poor man's concerns) held on July 26th, 1830, it was resolved that any member not attending to knit at church be fined 5/- From some time in the 18th Century until 1824 there was a service fortnightly at Hinton.Thereafter, with an incumbent of their own, a Service was held once every Sunday with a quarterly festival communion.
Plan of church in 1823
Plan of Church in 1849
ST JOHN’S CHURCH HISTORY
Home History Village Today News and Diary Contact Home Village Hinton House Church Priory
The Lady chapel is the earliest part of the church and predated the Carthusian Priory founded by Ela, Countess of Salisbury. Some Saxon stonework is visible from outside the church. The east window is a ratre example of a Trinity window of the 13th century with modern glass inserted as a memorial. The side windows are also of approximately the same date with modern glass. The Altar is a good example of Jacobean work. The Nave and Chancel were restored in the 13th century, with new windows on the South side, and further extensive work was carried out in 1866 when the barrel roof was restored and the original pews were replaced with the present ones. The present pulpit dates from 1849. The Font is early Normal, the only relic from the original Church of Saxon Foundationl.  The tower is 12th century but it is thought that it originally had a pointed top. The current structure dates from the 1770s when it sustained lightning damage. A third bell was donated by the Moore family to mark the Millennium in 2000. This is from a redundant Somerset church as was the mechanism which allows the three bells to be rung by one person. in the 19th century the population had increased considerable and more space was needed. The North Aisle was added in 1825. The organ was added in 1884 . The four windows in Perpendicular style were rebuilt for the Diamond Jubiee in 1897 but the glass dates from 1912 and are a memorial to Edward Talbot Day Foxcroft.
FEATURES OF THE CHURCH
OLD VICARAGE
Church Church